Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Homewreaker

It is a whole new world in our house right now. We are living in what seems like a constant state of chaos. It should be a relatively easy thing to fix. Pick up a few items here put a few things away there and voila: house clean mission accomplished. I have always been fairly good at keeping things tidy... ( with the exception of my bedroom and that is nobody's business but my own and Jenny's when I was little ( LOVE YOU GIRL) : ) I have a creative flair for organization that makes my house usually functional and attractive. During my 2 years of pregnancy things got a little out of hand but I was looking forward to my non-pregnant self and the ability to move again to get my house back to what I feel is nice tidy and livable. I was a little slow at the line but I figured I would make up for it as I paced myself.
I never in my million years of wanting a baby actually was prepared for HAVING ONE. In some very measurable ways my life is so much easier now than it was when she was tiny. I have become accustomed to nursing in the middle of the night and we co-sleep: No problems. I have weathered the spit up and poop and drool and pee on every available linen and dress and... well any ways it is smooth sailing now. I have survived the what do I do with my baby who can't sit up and I have no place to put her stage: on to bigger and better things. Yes these are all things of the past. I somehow thought that it would get easier as time went on... and truthfully it has and it will continue. We have however come to a stage that is I am certain the cause of premature baldness in women... and it ain't gonna get any better.Uh ... Houston... WE have a CRUISER on our hands.
My house perpetually looks as if a tornado landed inside of it. A's path of destruction is unmistakable and her victims litter the floor in her wake. She moves from one shelf to another ripping items off of the shelves and tossing them over her shoulder. In a house that is so small and no closets there are a lot of shelves... and they have all been emptied. We have moved all of the items that could harm her to higher shelves so the items that she comes across on those shelves are things like linens and paperback books. Putting the items away before she goes to bed is futile.... as she will just take them out again and toss them over her shoulder.... sometimes as you are putting the items away. She doesn't take kindly to her hard work being destroyed. Still I try very hard to keep my house from being unlivable though while she is awake it is kind of like using a bucket to toss water out of a boat that has a cannon ball hole in it.
The other day as I was trying to get the dishes done I allowed her to take all of the linens out of the shelf in the kitchen. I really thought that she couldn't hurt much. She was happy as a clam until I looked over and noticed that at least three of the linens that were tossed over her shoulder had landed in the litter box for the cat. I keep it well scooped due to the baby but... um.... EWW. So I picked up the linens that were not soiled and put them back cleaned out the cat box and tried to move her to a different area to wreak her havoc on GASP her toys. Have you ever tried to keep a child from doing something once they realize that they shouldn't. No once she finds out I don't want her doing something it is like honey to a bee. And as I was not going to back down and allow her to put too many more items on my already large laundry list we had issues.
Yes my house has suffered indignities that no house should have to. In the name of keeping a kid happy. I only hope that she grows out of this stage soon... because at the rate she is growing I am not going to have higher shelf space left much longer.


P.S. I apologize profusely for the lack of photos... It isn't for lack of taking them. I do have one of the cutest kids on the earth, but I digress. No the lack of photos is due to the fact that my dear husband has lost the connection for the camera to the computer.... I am taking the photos but I cannot get them to you. How frustrating. Though I am sure it will be remedied soon.

No comments: