Tuesday, September 2, 2008



It has been a while since my last post. I do apologize, life has been a little busy. I know I know, how busy can it really be, I have only one little girl to take care of. One little girl with ten pairs of hands, but yes one little girl none the less. D worked a bit of overtime over the last few weeks so that he could treat me for my birthday... and OH what a treat it was. We drove to Madison for the Taste of Madison over the weekend and stayed in a hotel. We visited with his parents and had a room with a jacuzzi and just had a wonderful weekend. We both agreed that it felt as if we had renewed our vows by the end of the weekend. We feel relaxed and happy.
A of course came with us. She spent some time getting to know her grandparents and was over all a very good baby. Of course true to form... we didn't get a single picture of the weekend. Not a single one. No picture of proud gramps with beaming babe on the lap. No photo of Gran holding a smiling cherub. No family portrait, nope not a one. So instead with have the memories and will make do with those. ( I am going to have to glue that doggone camera to my hand or something:)

I am going through the baby clothes that I have from A's infancy to get them ready for my sister in law who will be having a baby girl in Dec. I am having a little trouble with the clothes. You see A is appallingly hard on clothes right now. The little buts have permanently embedded dirt in them and the knees are eternally shadowed with dirt, but that is not the worst part. What is truly disturbing is the front of her little clothes, which have started looking like somebodies art project. Sweet potatoes and prunes are creatively splashed, blueberries and carrots are delicately dolloped, and apples and pears are painstakingly drizzled. Several of my favorite outfits had to go the the wayside when I was packing for the weekend. Yes I can hear you now... " That's what a bib is for!" Am I right... of course I am. For the record we have several bibs and we use them fairly regularly, but the problem is that they don't have locks on them. Let me explain. Our active little 10 month old has learned how to pull so the velcro gives. So we got the terry ones that go over the head. That worked for like 10 seconds ( of fussing) before she realized that it would easily go over the head. We have stopped with the bibs because they have become somewhat of a play toy... and often get in the way when we are trying to feed her. Instead we try being very careful with the food.... of course that would be easier if she didn't have arms and hands... but not much because she loves to open her mouth and then turn her head just as you are moving forward with the spoon. It is sort of like drawing with a spoonful of food.
When A was tiny I had all of these outfits that never stained. I looked at them as I was packing them away and sould shake my head with a little dismay over how unused they looked. I held on to them and I am thrilled to be able to pass them on. I have clothes up to about 6 months size that look like they have never been worn, and then wham we are into clothes that I am embarrassed to say have come off of my child, let alone pass on.
That brings up another point. I am going through these clothes in awe. My big girl was in those clothes less than a year ago. How is that even possible? I know that babies grow fast. Every one warned me when she was tiny, " Enjoy it. It goes quick" I would nod my head like i knew what they were talking about. But here I am on the other side of that and I am wondering where the hell my infant went... instead I have an almost toddler who has so much personality I can't imagine where she came from!?! What is worse is that the early months are somewhat of a blur for me. I can remember highschool better than I can remember the early months of having my daughter. It all kind of whirls into a jumble and I am left shaking my head. I had read about that, but I really didn't believe it. I tell D that I can't remember that time clearly and he is amazed. But truly while I remember parts of it all, I cannot pull up specific memories with out a lot of work... and sometimes not even then. I wonder if it is hormones because I have a GREAT memory.
What ever it is I am working hard on being more conscious of the days with my daughter so I can remember it a little better. Now if I can just remember to use that damn camera.

No comments: