Friday, September 19, 2008

Nobody knows a good nights sleep

We got our new bed today. We ordered a king size bed from an internet store and although it took three and a half very long weeks it finally came today. This was a purchase that has been needed for a very long time. Sometime in July Dave finally gave up the ghost and started sleeping on the couch. You see we were sleeping on a second hand full sized bed that was old 10 years ago. It had divots and dents that a body could literally get lost in. On top of that we co-sleep with A and so we had three ( even if one is very small) people crammed into that bed. There were nights that it was pure torture. It was only somewhat better when Dave moved out to the living room.
The thing is that Dave and I have missed sleeping in the same bed. I know I know I can hear you all saying " then get the kid out of the bed!" But Dave and I both are very happy with the attachment that co-sleeping has helped us to forge with our child. Not to mention when you live in a one bedroom house that is smaller than five hundred square feet total space is at a bit of a premium and we like that we only need one bed for all of us. ( And unless you have snuggled with a baby and felt that amazing bond you CANNOT know what you are missing.) When we went out of town and stayed in a hotel we had a king sized bed and at some points our child was sleeping between us with her head on Dave and her feet pushed onto me and.... neither Dave nor I were clinging to the edge of the bed for fear of falling. It was amazing. We had to have one.
And so A is sleeping in the middle of a king sized bed and I can hardly wait to get into the bed. I am not sure that i will know what to do if I wake up in the morning and I don't walk hunched over and with a limp for the first hour of the day. My fear is that none of us will be willing to get up in the morning. A took a nap in it this afternoon and christened it for us. After two and a half hours I heard her in there but she wasn't insisting that I come in with that strident voice that said " I want UP NOW!" Curious I went to look. There she was in the same place she had slept happy as a clam. I went and asked her if she wanted up and she looked at me like I was crazy. So I laid down next to her and we had a girl talk chat for fifteen minutes or so before my insanely active little girl wanted to even sit up... then she didn't want to get out of the bed. This is definitely boding well for a good nights sleep tonight.
So in about and hour I am going to crawl into my new bed with my husband and curl around my daughter as my husband curls around me to drift off into dream land, and right now I could not come up with a better definition of heaven.

No comments: