Monday, February 16, 2009

A says happy Valentines day my Ear!

Dave and I had plans for Valentine's day. They didn't include our child! My parents were going to babysit and we were going to my favorite restaurant for dinner... followed by a leisurely and enjoyable visit to the bookstore. Ahhhh Heaven. I started thinking around nine o'clock on Friday that those plans were headed south.... As I was changing our princess for bed I noticed that she felt awfully warm. Checked her temp and sure enough 102.8 not a good temp. I gave her Tylenol and she went to bed with an alarming ease. I informed my dear husband when he got home and he said well sounds like she will need to go to the doc tomorrow. We decided we would play Sat by ear until we laid down next to our daughter and both of us were SERIOUSLY disturbed by just how warm she felt. Off I went to get the thermometer.... only to find that her temp was now 104.6. I informed Dave of that and he said " Nuh uh" and took the thermometer from me.... only to get a very similar reading. "Turn the light on" he ordered. I got out of the bed to do so and he took her temp again. 104.5. Ummm gulp uh oh. So we started getting dressed and getting A dressed for a trip to the hospital as that temperature scared the ever living crap out of both of us. We stopped occasionally to take her temperature and be concerned over the number. Why I am not sure.... perhaps we were hoping that we had used the damn thing wrong. Perhaps we were waiting for divine intervention. Meanwhile our little angel though that this was all great fun and was laughing and chortling and otherwise showing her enjoyment. Apparently checking her temp every couple of minutes was not a terrible idea because about 20 minutes after we got the original scary reading it started going down. Yeah your guess is a good as mine... but it was 102.8 by the time we all were ready to go. Well with that in mind we decided to do what every parent wants to do in these times of crisis.... I woke up my mommy.... who despite the hour was very helpful with tips to pull down the temp and the bit of advice that we really wanted to hear. " you don't want to bring her to hospital if you can control it yourself. Wait until you can get to the doc tomorrow if you are able to bring it down some."
So at 2AM daddy and mommy popped A into the tub. She thought this was GREAT FUN!!! ( until we got to the rinse your hair part) and by the time we were done the temp was moving downward. We then proceeded to take turns following her around the house with a glass of water asking her if she wanted a drink. At 2:30 AM we had a temp of 100.9 and both felt it was safe to go to bed. So at 8 the next morning I called the doc and got an appointment. Where A did not pull the "I'm fine I don't know what she was thinking" routine that she usually plays and was indeed visably sick. She also still had a temp over 102 and was glassy eyed. We walked away with a script and a verdict... Double ear infection. And Doc was seriously impressed by how the left ear looked. I didn't take that as a good thing.
So off we head to home armed with a script and looking at our daughter we knew that we couldn't take her out. My parents had started making plans for their own Valentines outing and so we adjusted our sails and went in our new direction. A nap was the first order of business and while she did that Dave went to the grocery store to get comfort foods for her ( and me). She didn't nap nearly as long as she should have considering her post midnight hi-jinks. After about and hour and a half up she popped though not exactly looking for a good time. Her wonderful daddy pulled the couch to the middle of the room so that mommy and baby could sit on it and watch T.V. and sit we did watching one kids movie after another. This was the first time that A really watched T.V. as this is not a big pass time in our house. But she did so like a champ curling up in mommy's lap with her bear bear and her blanky with daddy's pillow under her head she watched T.V. and cuddled her little heart out.
Her daddy brought me a box of chocolates and got me the largest shrimp for shrimp cocktail that he could find. He got every treat that he could imagine that my heart could want..... ( we are definately going to have trouble getting through to the next paycheck, but I couldn't complain when I had my breath taken away by what he did) as well as three new books to read. He then climbed up on the couch next to us and we all three did the cuddle as we watched movie after movie after movie. It was a slice of heaven. Truly some of the most enjoyable hours that I have ever spent in my entire life compliments of my sick and clingy daughter and my impulsive and very indulgent husband.
I had to chuckle the next day as I realized that our little one now has done this for our anniversary and our valentines day.... and that is the only time that she has really ever been sick other than allergies or a cold in her entire life. Maybe she is making a point. Maybe she just has really bad timing. But both dave and I agreed that we enjoyed those hours on the couch with our daughter far more than we would have enjoyed a latte in the bookstore with out her. That is NOT to say that we are not eventually looking forward to the opportunity to get out ( or even stay in) WITHOUT her. Just to say that sometimes you really get what you need.... even if you didn't know to begin with that it was also what you wanted.

No comments: