Monday, February 23, 2009

So I suppose that I should tell all of you how that ultrasound went hmm? We learned several things at that ultrasound.
Firstly that we are indeed having a second little girl. We will soon have two little divas in our household. Dave is currently looking for a hobby that will take him out of the house as often as possible in the abject fear of too much estrogen becoming a factor. I of course have little or no sympathy for him thinking back to the days when his two boys would spend the all weekend every weekend with us and I at times thought I needed to find the cure for too much testosterone. I am seriously excited by that announcement as that means that my daughter will have a sister ( not counting Aislynn as she is an angel sister and is not terribly helpful at tea parties.) I never had a sister and so I am thrilled my daughter(s ) will have one. Dave chuckles and says that he had plenty of sisters and wonders what it would have been like to have had a brother to grow up with.... Once again feel the sympathy rolling off of me when I think of my days playing GI Joe or He-Man...
Secondly we learned that this girl is going to be STUBBORN. With double caps if that is possible. We were in that room for an hour and some trying to get that little girl to move so that we could get pictures of all the body parts that the doc wanted to get pics of.... and she didn't move. Not so much as a slow roll. Oh she pulled up her feet and kicked my belly ( as if to say LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE) but she is laying on her back transverse... ( that means her head is on one side of me and her butt on the other) rather than hanging out head up or down. With her laying with her back against me... there is no way to get the pictures of that little spinal cord. Try try try though they might ( and two people tried) She would not move. Jiggle, push, and press on my belly and she simply moved her legs a little and went back to sleep. On top of which we tried to get the 4-D ultrasound to see her little face and all we got was her holding her hand in front of her face. I kid you not ... it looked like every picture we have of her Uncle Brenden when he is trying to avoid having his picture taken. This is an issue we will have to take up with her when she is older to be sure! At least we have a fairly good picture of the little girl parts.... this having been agreed upon by three different people looking at the ultrasound pics. They have not made any references to food yet for which Dave is profoundly appreciative. The descriptions they were giving for A while I was pregnant Ex. Her little Taco.... and You see the little hamburger right there... were turning him off of his food.
So either we have a very stubborn little girl... or she can sleep through a typhoon. Either way she will take after her father to be sure. Not that it would surprise me...because I am starting to think that Dave must have really strong genes... because the one we have is taking after her father in surprising ways too. Some of those ways tug the heart strings and some of them set the pot to boil. A has a new and surprising ability to completely tune out the sound of the voice of any person who is telling her to do something other than what she wants.... ummm can we say DAVE! And then he seems to seriously mean it when he says that he never heard you... At least A doesn't have the vocabulary yet to pull that one. Although I must take a moment to brag and say that her vocabulary is OUTSTANDING for a child so young. Well lets be honest she is just outstanding period... and that is not really my bias talking she really is just outstanding.
She is approaching the terrible twos. It is funny but Dave and I remember with her brother K that he went through them at like THREE. He was the easiest baby all the way through the first year and the second and then three hit and WHAMMO! he was in the chair every five minutes and that is tough to do when you are three and get a three minute time out. A seems like she is hitting that point earlier than he did. Not that there really is any comparison as we were weekend warriors with the Keaganator and full time with the kabashlynn. ( You will find that I am fond of giving nick names that are longer than the original... and if I can't find one that is clever I will simply make one up.)
The little bear has been going through a few tough issues in the last week or so. The ear infections that woke us at 2 with a 105 degree temp was treated by a medication that gave her some... how shall I put this delicately seriously awful diaper issues. One explosion after another... some days we had four or five. By Thursday night I was crying while changing her bum. By Friday I took her to the doctor. On Sat even with prescription cream I refused to give her any more of the evil antibiotic. Two days with out the medicine and there are still raw weepy spots left on her bum... though a great deal of healing has gone on. This weekend we did not go anywhere and I left her in a diaper and shirt so that I could tell as soon as possible that the diaper had been filled... then used washcloths rather than diaper wipes... and cried as Dave helped me to hold her while I cleaned her up. She learned the word "owwie" this weekend. It has been hell for everyone involved. But we are on the road to recovery and now she says owwie when I change her butt even though I don't think it really hurts anymore.... she also crys when I lay her down to change her... but mostly just from the memory of the owwie, not because it really actually hurts all that bad. I am grateful that the worst of it is over though... because a mommy whose baby is crying so badly who is five months pregnant isn't pretty. Talk about a basket case.
It didn't help that the weather gave me a migraine on Sat morning ( very very early) that didn't let me go until Monday afternoon. And still is giving me flashes of pain and tenderness. It also doesn't help that being pregnant I can't take anything for that pain. So poor Dave was left in the house defenseless with a woman in pain and a baby in pain. Over all I think that he pulled through it like a champ. This is not the first migraine that I have had since my child was born... it is however one of the worst. I spent a good portion of Sunday laying in the bed with my daughter hoping for a merciful death. Note to God: it is a strange and cruel torture to give a mother of a toddler a migraine. At least A was in a mellow mood because of the Tylenol that and Benedryl that she was getting on a regular basis to keep her rear from hurting and itching. I can hear all of you now.... "Why wasn't David taking care of the baby" Well that is easier said than done. Dave is a very passive parent, responding only when there is a crash or a scream. He is also more often than not totally engrossed in the computer or the TV or what have you. So after A tries to get his attention and fails she comes to me. So laying on the couch or the bed when you don't have a door on your bedroom is really not a safe zone. These are the things that drive me crazy about him... but one of the nice things about the migraine is that I get fuzzy. I don't get mad about much because getting mad hurts... so I just layed on the couch and Dave put on an endless string of movies and I let my young daughter crawl and climb all over me until nap time... at which point I sacked out with her. We would wake up and so it all over again. There are times when having a low-key child is REALLY a blessing... though Dave and I are both pretty low-key so it was bound to happen. Here's hoping for another in the same key!
As you can see there is never a dull moment in this household... although it never seems like we are doing anything. I suppose only a mother can find all of this exciting... but then I am the mother of the most outstanding little girl in the world... and in a few short months I will be the mother of the TWO most outstanding girls in the world. Can I get a HELL YEAH!!!!!!

No comments: