Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mary mary quite contrary how does your baby grow?

So today we finally were able to get all of the pictures that were needed of this stubborn child that I am carrying. Try number three and finally all heart, kidney, brain, spine, and face pictures for the anatomy profile are done. But it wasn't easy. Christy , the ultrasound tech, kept laughing because the child wiggled continuously through the scan. In other scans we couldn't get her to move for the life of us she was so snuggled into sleep and in this one she wiggled the whole time. The part that was funny was that she would give Christy the view that she needed only to squirm out of said position as soon as Christy tried to capture the image. She was doing these half rolls... and she did it four or five times. By the end Christy and I both agreed that I may just have my hands very very full when this child is born.
By the way.... she is still a girl. Like I told Christy, I don't care one way or the other really.... I just want a little bit of warning so that I don't decide that I can rely on the old stores of clothes only to find out that we will need to go shopping pronto for boys clothes on the day the kid is born. That would NOT be cool. Healthy is all I ask for... that and prior warning so that I don't have a boy in pink for the rest of his life. Because due to the info that we have received that this is a girl... there has been very little shopping done, as we have a lot of clothes... they are slightly off season... but we are hoping that there will be some overlap.
Also babe has moved from being transverse and is now frank breach. Frank Breach means that her little butt is down and her head is up. If they are breach this is the best position. Aidan was a footling breach and that is NOT a good position.. that means that one little foot is dangling ( double footling means that both are dangling) and that is a bad position to be in... though the worst of all is of course transverse which is ALWAYS a c-section. Not that it matters one little bit this babe will be delivered by c-section and I am not given any sort of option on that. Some docs do give you a choice... mine does not. But even the more liberal docs would probably have a few issues with me trying to have a VBAC as a diabetic so we will be scheduling a c-section and so be it.
We did a growth scan too today and we are currently at 1 lb 9 ounces. That is bigger than A was at this age but still well with in the parameters that they want to see for this child. Not too big not too small. My doc is very happy with how she is growing and her anatomy all looks totally normal and healthy. So over all we are VERY HAPPY!
The office has referred me for physical therapy for my back and it looks as if we might be able to get me in before the end of the week. That will be a much needed relief if it can take care of some of the pain that I have been having. I got a massage from my cousin on Monday and that helped considerably. How lucky am I to have a cousin who is a massage therapist? She couldn't do the full body work up because of pressure points that can cause labor in the legs and feet... but what she did do was pure Heaven. I am hoping that the combo of massage and physical therapy will get this back in better shape. Although I have been warned by several people that most likely I will not get relief until I deliver the baby. I am not looking for miracles but even a small amount of relief would be wonderful. I can hear all of you moms who suffered through back aches during pregnancy saying " whatever" as you roll your eyes... but the pinched nerve that we are talking about here is a pretty serious thing. My legs go numb or pins and needles all night long. I am having trouble lifting my legs in the evening high enough to walk on sometimes flat ground. I am having trouble getting myself into and out of chairs, and a walk across the floor in the late evening and night time sometimes seems impossible. We have a series of supports for me that will hold my weight from the bed to the bathroom so that I do not fall at night because my legs and hips literally cannot be trusted to keep me upright and support me. I have never felt so crippled in all my life. Carrying Ash is not a great help... but she is still so young and I have little choice in the matter. We can all just be grateful that the job of carrying her from my parents house back home is the last straw that (forgive the pun) breaks the camels back... and I am not required to do too much lifting of her once we get home.
I am gaining weight faster than I did with Ash... though I am still well with in the parameters the doc and dietitian set for me. The difference I think is that I am already retaining water with this one... I didn't start swelling with Ash until I was firmly into my third trimester. I have taken my wedding ring off already this time, after it got good and stuck. Dave helped me to get it off and has put it in a safe place. I was warned repeatedly with Ash that I was going to have to take that ring off but never actually did, and in fact wore it into the delivery room. My mind is continually boggled by how different these pregnancies are from each other. You would think if you have been pregnant once that you would have a good baseline for how your body deals with the hormones and such that wreak such complete havoc on your body. Instead in many ways this pregnancy seems as if it is a complete opposite. It would almost make sense if this were a boy instead of a girl. Then you could say yes well this is how it was with the girl now you are carrying a boy. But as we see this child more and more frequently we are reassured that we will be having another daughter and it seems so strange that it has such a drastically different effect on my body. Lets just be grateful that this is my last, as I have already signed the paperwork for my tubes to be tied.
Alright it is late and as I seem to be sleeping in shifts these days... I had better go and get a little bit of rest. Ash gets up awfully early and we are entering the allergy days.... That should make sleeping somewhat easier at least.

No comments: