Monday, June 16, 2008

Rock-a-by.... ZZZZZZ.....



Our little missy is having a hiccough in her sleep patterns. For nearly the last week she has been waking up at about midnight ready to party just as Daddy and I are ready to snooze. She gets frustrated when we then lay with her in a darkened room trying to calm her to sleep. We have been trying everything. Only one nap... nope, two shorter naps.... uh uh, staying up later.... I don't think so I'll just delay waking up, bath before bedtime... hello I am not into sleeping, and a host of various other things. What worked last night for us was Dave and I going to bed when she just started to wake. This method convinced her that it was bedtime before she was awake enough to notice the party life. The thing is that it has to be BOTH of us.... otherwise all bets are off. ( you can add me going to bed early to the list of tactics above and add a resounding NO to the end) Dave however doesn't really have a set time to work until... he works until the work is done. That means that we sometimes have him home at 9 PM once at 3AM, and D needs some unwind time before hopping into bed. It is hard to make that work with this new issue A is having.

So as you may imagine I have been spending a large number of my evening hours trying to lull my infant to sleep, as letting her get up to play hardly seems the answer. I am getting to the point where I dread the late evening hours... She goes to sleep easy enough the first time, its just when she wakes up that we have such a hard time. She is exhausted something you can tell by the cries and the eye rubbing. And just as she is about to nod off she will jerk herself awake and start all over again with the crying. The worst part about it all is that no sooner do you think " Ah ha success!" then she is awake and crying again. Sometimes crying before she is even fully awake. It is very frustrating, especially since we haven't had these type of sleep issues in her life to date.

Dave and I are getting tired; very very tired, and frustrated; very very frustrated. We are starting to wonder if we will ever get back to our regular life again. Whats worse is that she appears to be adjusting her own schedule to allow for these evening attacks. She has started sleeping later in the morning. When I started waking her up rather than letting her sleep.... she just took a longer nap. Still I am working to change this little habit as frantically as I can. I just am not sure that there is anything that we haven't tried yet. ARGH! Meanwhile the lullabies that I am singing are only serving to put me to sleep.

No comments: