Friday, April 18, 2008

My what large teeth you have!!


I had plans for today's entry. I was going to tell you all about her trip to visit her paternal granny.... alas it will have to wait... because what news what news. She has cut her first tooth. Its right there on those once smooth gums just waiting for your finger to find it. No you can't see it yet, that is how new this tooth is. I found it yesterday while A was engaged in her favorite new pass time, gumming ( now teething) my fingers into a drool covered oblivion. She set about ensuring that anyone within a five foot radius of her at any given time not have fingers. She is single minded in her pursuit of gnawing the offending appendages into nubs that as slimy and smell faintly of spit up.

So yesterday as I was doing my part to keep the peace in the house by allowing my fingers to be nibbled I noticed it... a rough spot on the once smooth surface of her gums. I checked again ( much to her delight) and yes there it was again a rough spot. I had daddy stick his fingers into her mouth too ( she was wondering how she got so lucky as we all have come up with creative ways to keep our fingers OUT of her mouth : ) He concurred, that the sand papery patch is indeed a tooth. um (gulp) Yeah?!

I meet this new thing with a mixed reaction. Yes my child is growing up that is to be expected. Yes the first tooth is a landmark on that road. And one to be celebrated certainly. I'm not so worried about the teething part of it, we have weathered it up to this point with out too much grief. Ummm the worry that I have is that I am nursing this little one still. We are still at the point that all of her nourishment comes from me... and the idea of teeth in that tiny little mouth is just a little unsettling. " don't worry" my mom assured me" after your reaction the first few times she bites you she won't do it again" umm .... sorry after the first few times... forgive me if that doesn't really reassure me.

I haven't heard about the huge number of mothers who have lost their breast due to nursing infants with teeth, so I am sure that it will be fine. Right? I guess that we are on the road to find out aren't we? Meanwhile yes I am thrilled that my daughter is cutting her first tooth. Despite my husband laughter when he felt it followed by " Have fun Mommy!" I am sure that we will muddle through it all. Gotta go though my daughter has her hand in her mouth I have to offer my hand up as a sacrifice to keep hers safe.

No comments: