Sunday, December 20, 2009

On the Eighth Day of Christmas






So yesterday the blessing that I counted was our parents. It started out as our whole families... but then I thought long and hard and realized that our siblings really need their own day. The relationship that siblings have is different than the parent child relationship and because of that it brings about different lessons and different facets of the same emotions. With a parent there is a implicit trust that permeates and even shapes the relationship. The trust between siblings is different, and when my brothers get a certain look, liberally sprinkled with suspicion.
I have two brothers. They are as different as night and day in so many ways. I have a different relationship with each of them and both relationships are exceptionally important to me. Dave has a split family and because of that he has a slew of sisters and brothers that cover all of the bases from full out sister to stepbrother and everything in between. All of those people have made a difference in our lives and have helped to shape who we are.
My first memory, that I can place a date and time, is going with my father to pick out a gift for my brother Shawn on the day that he was born. I was 21/2 years old and I do not remember a day of my life with out him. We shared a bedroom until I was 9 and he is one of my best friends.... and NO ONE... and I mean that sincerely NO ONE has ever made me as angry as he has. Brenden was born when I was 81/2 and I was a little older and so I responded a little differently. I remember yelling at my mother shortly after he was born that she only had time for the baby... not me anymore. I was a little bit jealous. But I came to adore that boy. I also remember when he was a little bit older than Taryn that I could get him laughing so hard he could barely breath. I watched him when he was little on summer vacations and I loved every single second of my time with him. As we have grown up the friendships with both of my brothers has changed but the love that those relationships are based on has not changed even a bit. I still look forward to seeing both of them and I still love the time we spend.
I cannot speak for Dave and the relationship that he has with his siblings. I can only speak of my own. I love all of the various different siblings that Dave has. Shannon with her independent spirit is a trailblazer who will do big things. Chelsea with her quirkiness is so much fun, always has a joke to tell. Skyla stole my heart from the minute that I met her ( even if she did used to growl at people) Kim is as feisty as you can get and never holds back an opinion. Robin is a ton of fun and someone with whom that I have enjoyed every conversation I have had. Peter is sweet, I see it when he deals with his kids. I find it adorable. These are people who have welcomed me into their family without a bit of hesitation. People who love my husband and because of that myself and my kids.
Brothers and sisters are a strange sort of blessing. One that can be taken for granted. I have viewed first hand by watching my mother with her family that they are not always there for you though... and that they should never be taken for granted. I love my brothers more than I could EVER express to you in words. I KNOW that my brothers are always there for me. I am certain that they will watch over me. I will always watch over them and I am so very very fortunate to have them in my life. My best friends my worst enemies, but they always always always a blessing.

No comments: