Saturday, December 19, 2009

On the Seventh Day of Christmas






The blessing that I have chosen to remember on this day is Dave's wonderful family. We have been remarkably blessed by the presence of his family in our lives. I have been welcomed into his family with open arms... and never doubt how dear I am to his parents. When I have spoken to his father on the phone I feel a glow of warmth for hours afterward... because I am so taken with him. This is a man who often calls to talk just to me, starting as far back as when Dave and I first started dating. He also tells me frequently that he loves me, which I know so very well, but still love to hear. I am thrilled when we get the chance to visit, which happens far less frequently than I would like.
Donna, Dave's stepmother, loves Dave as she loves her own children, and that could never be doubted. Dave looks up to her and respects her so much. I love to hear him talk about her. When Dave and I first visited them several years ago, she told me " Dave has a sweetness in him that a lot of people just don't see." and then she asked me to be careful of it. That really struck me, especially as it is so very very true. There is a sweetness in Dave that he does a whole lot of work to hide and could make it very easy to hurt him. I feel very blessed to have these two people in my life. They have enriched my life in countless ways, and after knowing them for 8 years I am certain that my life would not be nearly so full if they were not a part of it. They live a ways away and it is tough to see them as frequently as we would like... but it is a wonderful time when we do see them. Bob and Donna thank you for who you are... and for sharing it with us. Truly you are a blessing in our lives. One that we could not imagine our lives without.
As with so many families Dave's is a divided family. And there is another half that we need to count. Dave's mother and his stepfather Bill are also a wonderful addition to our lives. His mom always has a stash of yarn or something small that she knows that I would like. We have so much in common in that we are both very crafty individuals and every time that we visit or vice versa has something that she has picked up that she thinks I would like. She is usually right. So many of the items that I have knitted or crocheted were made with yarn that she got for me or off of patterns that she found for me. This is how she says I love you. She is a wonderful person who thinks of others often.
Bill, Dave's stepdad is a quiet soul, but he is such a wonderful man. I love to spend time with him. He is simple and direct and there isn't much that he feels that he needs to say. He reminds me of my Grandfather in that way. I liked him from the minute that I met him and nothing has changed that yet. Not one to make big displays of emotion he cares none the less and when you watch he makes it known. He is like my own father in that at times you have to look at his actions because he doesn't say the words so very often... but those actions speak volumes. An example is that one day my father borrowed my car and noticed that the tires were bald so when I got that car back he had replaced the tires. This is the way that both Bill and my Dad say "I love you" so you have to listen closely. Barb and Bill we recognize all the things that you do and we can truly say that you are a blessing in our lives. Thank you for being there for us.
There isn't nearly enough space here for me to say all that I need to or want to. I hope however that I have been able to let each and every one of you know that you are a blessing in our lives. Truly a blessing. One that we appreciate every single day. We love you!

No comments: